This easy salad brings together the familiar tastes of summer, and is perfect for your end of summer family barbeque. It can also be a quick meal by itself as you adjust to new patterns and schedules for the fall. I think you’ll love this fresh from the garden summer salad!
Who doesn’t like bacon? I prefer crispy, thick bacon for this recipe, but any bacon will do.
Here at the end of summer you can find a bumper crop of vine-ripe juicy tomatoes in farmer’s markets, at local vendors, or maybe in your own garden! And just like the famous BLT sandwich, the wonderful tomato finds its perfect flavor pairings in this salad. With the addition of two lovely foods that come to the party – corn and feta!
I’m from Iowa where sweet corn is DELICIOUS! If you’re a local, you know that we can consume dozens of ears at time. Fresh sweet corn beats frozen, or heaven-forbid, canned corn any day. Hopefully you can find some great sweet corn near you. If not, you may have to settle for thawed frozen. Which will work. I like to microwave the entire ear, then husk and slice it off the cob. You can find that method of cooking here.
I typically top this with a buttermilk ranch dressing. Sometimes a Caesar or blue cheese.
BLT Salad with Fresh Corn and Feta
Fresh sweet corn and crispy bacon on a bed of romaine topped with cherry tomatoes and feta cheese.
- 8 cups of torn romaine lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ lb thickly sliced bacon
- 3 ears of sweet corn, cooked and cool enough to handle
- 2-3 ounces of crumbled feta
- Cook bacon slices in a skillet over medium heat until desired crispness. Cool on paper towels.
- When corn is cool enough to handle, slice the corn off the cobs with a sharp knife. I do this into a large bowl so that the kernels do not fly everywhere. Let corn cool completely. It is not necessary (or desirable) to separate the kernels from one another; it’s nice to have rows remain slightly intact.
- In a large salad bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes and corn. Top with bacon and crumbled feta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1353mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 29g