We love chocolate at our house. Especially dark chocolate. I make brownies quite frequently and have several different recipes to rotate through depending on my mood. So when I get the hankerin’ for toasty, sweet, browned butter fudgy goodness, I turn to my recipe for Dark Chocolate Brownies with Browned Butter Frosting!
You can find this recipe on the internet elsewhere as Butter Fudge Fingers, but does that look like the right name to you? It’s the pictures that make you look twice at this recipe, but the original name doesn’t tell me that I’m dealing with either browned butter or brownies! And I like to bake mine in a 9×13″ pan so there is nothing “finger”-like about them when I’m baking. No, they are moist and rich and thick. Of course the nuts can be optional. So for the sake of honestly expressing the nature and worth of this bitter/sweet dessert treat combo, I’m renaming and reposting them here.
Afraid to burn the butter? Think “browned butter” is a weird concept? I hope you will give these a try! You’ll be melting the butter over a medium heat until it looks golden or toasty. It adds a unique, deep, rich flavor to the butter that I’m sure you’ll love! The frosting really is like a candy fudge, and it’s sweetness is balanced by a bittersweet chocolate glaze.
Dark Chocolate Brownies with Browned Butter Frosting
Browned butter frosting drizzled with bittersweet chocolate tops these fudgy nut brownies.
- 2/3 cup butter
- 4oz unsweetened chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Browned Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Melt 2/3 cup of butter and 4 oz chocolate together. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs and salt until foamy. Beat in sugar. Stir in melted chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour and baking powder. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350F degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- For Frosting: In a medium or large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla. Beat in sugar with a spoon until smooth and thick. Frost bars.
- For Glaze: Melt chocolate and butter together and drizzle over frosted brownies.
These can of course be made without nuts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
This Post Has One Comment
Can’t wait to try these!