This wonderful BBQ Chicken Potpie now has a gluten-free variation! Now everyone can enjoy one of my favorite chicken dinners together!
Hunt for Gluten-free Jiffy mix
When friends requested my marvelous BBQ Chicken Potpie, I wanted to make sure that even our gluten-free guests would be able to enjoy it. The original recipe, found here, has a quick and easy cornbread topping that is made with Jiffy cornbread muffin mix. I thought for sure that Jiffy would have a gluten-free mix that I could simply substitute, but my online search proved otherwise! Instead I found several recipes that claimed to be a gluten-free version of Jiffy cornbread muffin mix.
So I decided to try my hand at a simple cornbread topping that I could make for this gluten-free BBQ chicken potpie. By comparing and combining some of these gluten-free recipes, I put together a topping that was amazing! Not only is it correctly proportioned for this recipe, but the cornbread itself is delicious! As most gluten-free recipes go, this is a little drier than my original recipe. Not a problem because it provides a crispy topping that contrasts wonderfully with the saucy filling. Love! Which version do I love more? I’m really not sure.
It’s not all about the cornbread
If you haven’t tried this tasty cornbread topped BBQ Chicken Potpie, you really don’t know what you’re missing! More than just shredded chicken doused in jarred barbeque sauce, this barbequed chicken is much more layered and complex with cumin seed, coriander, chili sauce, canned chilies and grated chocolate. It’s much richer than what I typically expect of a barbeque chicken recipe.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4.5oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast (1 ½lb boneless breast, 2 ½lb bone-in chicken breast)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped or grated
- 1 (12oz) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (14.5oz) can chicken broth
Gluten-Free Cornbread Topping
- 2/3 cup gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/2 cup golden corn meal
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat oil and melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in green chilies, cumin and coriander and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in vinegar and scrape skillet to loosen browned bits. Add the chicken, brown sugar, chocolate, chili sauce and chicken broth. Cook for 20 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a greased 11x7 baking dish or a 1 ½ quart casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together gluten-free flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend in melted butter and milk. Spoon evenly over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 630mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 22g
So whether you try the original recipe or this Gluten-free BBQ Chicken Potpie, I hope you’ll love it as much as my friends and I do! I’d love to hear your comments! And if you try this recipe, please don’t forget to give it the 5-star rating it deserves.