I love this easy soup! The lemon and the herbs are so fresh and perky and so are the veggies! As long as you have cooked, shredded chicken on hand, this soup can come together in 20 minutes.
This is the perfect soup for spring (or those of us simply longing for spring). You’ve got the combination of comforting winter chicken noodle soup with the newness of peas barely cooked. Yum! This is my adaptation of a recipe I spotted on The Cozy Apron. Her delicious version uses quinoa instead of pasta and is seasoned with Herbs de Provence which I never have in my cupboard.
Definitely use a real lemon for this recipe. You will be zesting and juicing, but you only need one.
I have created this recipe using dried herbs, but by all means, feel free to use the fresh ones if you have them, adjusting the quantities as you find appropriate.
And bonus, I got a nice, sunny day for taking pictures!
Lemony Chicken Soup
Quick, easy, and full of flavor. With pasta, peas, zucchini and carrots.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp each dried rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram and parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 cups (1 lb) cooked chicken breast, shredded or diced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup dry rotini
- salt and pepper to taste
- In medium or large pot, cook onion and carrots in melted butter over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until onions soften and become translucent.
- Stir in garlic and spices. Add chicken broth; raise heat and bring to a boil. Add pasta, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Bring back to a boil; add remaining ingredients. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes, covered. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1157mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g